recovery from fail

Andrey Utkin andrey_utkin at fastmail.com
Mon Feb 13 18:10:39 EST 2017

On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 12:29:04PM +1100, Tobin Harding wrote:
> I have made and epic fail and am asking for advice on how to proceed
> to cause the least amount of upset.
>
> I submitted a simple patch series to LKML. A reviewer made a
> suggestion. I submitted v2 - without building it :(
>
> kbuild test robot picked up that it doesn't compile. The problem is
> that I now cannot get the second patch of the series to compile.
>
> What is the correct protocol to follow?

Fix issues and carefully submit v3 with proper list of changes since
previous submissions.

> I don't want to make any more noise than I already have

Not a big deal.
Don't worry about that unless you repeatedly receive strong suggestions
to never submit anything again.

> but I also don't want to ignore the reviewer by not implementing the
> suggested changes.
>
> Is it rude to reply to the original review email for further
> discussion having already botched the patch?

If you can fix issues on your own, just submit v3 and add all previous
reviewers to recipients list.

If you can't fix issues, proceed discussion with reviewer in whatever
way you find suitable.