insmod error

Alexander Kapshuk alexander.kapshuk at gmail.com
Sat Feb 11 12:36:44 EST 2017

On Sat, Feb 11, 2017 at 6:32 PM, Madhu K <madhu.sk89 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Alexander,
>
> Thank you so much for your valuable reply.
>
> yes, you are correct I have kernel-source in home directory and I did not
> install modules.
>
> To fix "out-of-tree" one, if I do make modules and modules_install will it
> go off?
>
> Thanks,
> Madhu
>
> On Sat, Feb 11, 2017 at 7:27 PM, Alexander Kapshuk
> <alexander.kapshuk at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Feb 11, 2017 at 3:28 PM, Madhu K <madhu.sk89 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Hi All,
>> >
>> > I have built a kernel module against a 4.9.2 for arm board. while
>> > inserting
>> > this kernel module I am getting below message which is high lighted in
>> > red
>> > color what exactly mean loading out-of-tree module. what could be the
>> > possible reason to get this message?
>> >
>> > Please help me out to understand below message mean.
>> >
>> > ubuntu at ubuntu-armhf:/home/Madhu/i2c$ dmesg
>> > [  704.283100] i2c_client: loading out-of-tree module taints kernel.
>> > [  704.285359] driver initialization
>> > [  704.285693] inside probe function
>> >

>> > Regards,
>> > Madhu

>> An 'out-of-tree' message does not indicate an error. It is informing
>> you that the module being loaded is not a part of the kernel source
>> tree, but an 'out-of-tree' one, i.e. your custom module whose source
>> code resides say in your home directory.
>>
>> To verify your module has been loaded successfully, run 'lsmod | grep
>> your_module_name' after loading it with 'insmod'.
>>
>> Hope this helps.

You're welcome.

Please do not top-post.

As I already mentioned, the purpose of the 'loading out-of-tree module
taints kernel' message is to inform the users of the i2c_client driver
that it is not a part of the kernel source tree.
It does not indicate a problem.
So, to the best of my knowledge, the message won't go away.