insmod error

Alexander Kapshuk alexander.kapshuk at gmail.com
Sat Feb 11 08:57:25 EST 2017

On Sat, Feb 11, 2017 at 3:28 PM, Madhu K <madhu.sk89 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have built a kernel module against a 4.9.2 for arm board. while inserting
> this kernel module I am getting below message which is high lighted in red
> color what exactly mean loading out-of-tree module. what could be the
> possible reason to get this message?
>
> Please help me out to understand below message mean.
>
> ubuntu at ubuntu-armhf:/home/Madhu/i2c$ dmesg
> [  704.283100] i2c_client: loading out-of-tree module taints kernel.
> [  704.285359] driver initialization
> [  704.285693] inside probe function
>

> Regards,
> Madhu

An 'out-of-tree' message does not indicate an error. It is informing
you that the module being loaded is not a part of the kernel source
tree, but an 'out-of-tree' one, i.e. your custom module whose source
code resides say in your home directory.

To verify your module has been loaded successfully, run 'lsmod | grep
your_module_name' after loading it with 'insmod'.

Hope this helps.