Public Kernel Development

valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu
Fri Dec 1 20:46:34 EST 2017

On Fri, 01 Dec 2017 20:21:36 +0000, Chris Obbard said:

> The drivers I’m releasing probably don’t belong in the kernel

Again:  Why are you saying that?  It wouldn't be the first time we
carried a driver for an uncommon device (heck, we carried an
entire *architecture* for several years for a legacy machine that
was down to 2-3 bootable machines for one person).

If you're building test/play hardware for yourself, they probably shouldn't
be in the kernel.  If the device is common enough that you're releasing
the driver to others, it should be in the kernel.