What is the fastest way to build and boot a kernel

Manoj linux at manojrajarao.com
Tue Apr 25 09:15:30 EDT 2017

Code Soldier1 writes:

> Hi,
>
> Can someone suggest what is the fastest way to build a minimal kernel
> and boot. For example if I am working on TCP and would like to make a
> small change and reboot, what is the fastest way, I rather not build
> the whole kernel.
>
> Thanks

FWIW, check this out if you want to have a setup to make
incremental changes to your kernel and test them out quickly.
It describes a quick and easy setup to test kernel changes on an
emulator without acutally rebooting your machine (helps with initial
testing)

http://www.mycpu.org/kernel-n00b-howto/

I use this setup for testing out small/quick changes. As mentioned
earlier in this thread, compilation for incremental changes should not
take long.

HTH.

--
Manoj