Patch Question

Perry Hooker perry.hooker at gmail.com
Wed Apr 19 11:54:33 EDT 2017

> Dan Carpenter is very good at what he dose. I would be hesitant to
> ever call him or anyone as experienced 'flat-out incorrect'.

Mr. Carpenter's first assertion that the patch "introduces bugs" was
incorrect by his own admission:
https://lkml.org/lkml/2017/3/22/120

Additionally, his assertion that the "buff likely is just a regular
ieee80211_hdr struct" was also incorrect.

> In your comments you in no way display that you understand exactly
> what the code is doing and why it should by changed. Your initial
> patch does not have an appropriate changelog message, please read
> Documentation/process/submitting-patches.rst (section 2 Describing
> your changes).

I disagree. I've written both where the buffer is allocated and where
it's filled, and why the contents need to be converted to
little-endian byte order. Can you comment on whether my analysis is
correct?

Also, here are several commits that fix similar issues with similar
changelog messages:
https://github.com/torvalds/linux/commit/a15505e69cd2f8d0ebf566cd5c5838bd5c2d56e3
https://github.com/torvalds/linux/commit/47910a49db876397150b9754bc66f0c179448854
https://github.com/torvalds/linux/commit/af27e01cfcfcdf7f45488e023b474eb6de5f732e

Can you comment on what's considered an "appropriate changelog message?"

> A more subtle point - you may have more success if you do not put
> demands onto people (eg can you explain this..) but rather write out
> your understanding of the code explaining why your hold the views you
> do. Others can then comment or this, agreeing or disagreeing as the
> case may be. People like to help by giving their knowledge, no one
> likes doing chores.

As I mentioned (and is contained in the thread), I've written out my
understanding of where the buffer is allocated, where it's filled, and
why the conversion needs to happen.
At this point, no one has commented on the accuracy of my analysis.
Such comments are exactly what I'm hoping for (and what I requested -
not "demanded" - in my replies).

So, if you can provide some useful analysis, I'd be happy to listen.