What is the fastest way to build and boot a kernel

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Tue Apr 18 13:44:41 EDT 2017

On Tue, Apr 18, 2017 at 10:38:52AM -0700, Code Soldier1 wrote:
> Hi Greg,
>
> No I did not know about 'make localmodconfig'. Can you kindly explain.

Did you look at the help in the kernel makefile:

	make help
will show you what the different options do.

localmodconfig makes a kernel configuration based on your system and the
modules loaded, which is much smaller than the "full distribution"
kernel build, for all hardware in the world, which you don't usually
want for your own development.

There's also a whole book, free online, Linux Kernel in a Nutshell, that
describes how to configure, build, and boot a custom kernel, that might
help you out.

> As far as the change is concerned I am planning to change a few things
> and experiment, so there is nothing specific.

Then experiment away and see how it goes!

good luck,

greg k-h