insmod failing to insert a simple module

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Thu Sep 29 07:24:40 EDT 2016

On Thu, Sep 29, 2016 at 03:26:49PM +0530, Madhu K wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> While inserting a kernel module, insmod is failing with following error.
>

> insmod: error inserting 'page_walk.ko': Invalid module format.
>
> I verified the modinfo of "page_walk.ko" it is showing version magic as : 4.0.5_rc7+ SMP mod_unload modversions 686

Is the kernel version that you are currently running also 4.0.5-rc7+?
That is a requirement :)

> what does "mod_unload" mean here?

You have enabled the ability to unload modules.

Also look in your kernel log for any specific error messages when trying
to load a module, it usually will be more verbous than the insmod
program itself.

good luck,

greg k-h