Difference between config, menuconfig and defconfig

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Mon Sep 19 09:29:08 EDT 2016

On Mon, 19 Sep 2016 16:20:12 +0530, Madhu K said:

> That means kernel maintainer will define default configuration for his
> architecture not for all architecture, I mean kernel maintainer might have
> defined configuration for x86, not for ARM, POWERPC and all, is my
> understanding correct?, if not please correct me.

There's more than one defconfig file.  Even more than one per architecture.
For many, there's a separate defconfig for each board:

[/usr/src/linux-next] for i in arch/*/configs; do echo -n "$i: "; find $i -name '*defconfig' | wc -l; done
arch/arc/configs: 15
arch/arm/configs: 112
arch/arm64/configs: 1
arch/avr32/configs: 15