memblock_reserve or memblock_remove to reserve a page

Nikhil Utane nikhil.subscribed at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 04:23:10 EDT 2016

MH,

Let me give a bit of background of the issue.

We are facing an issue where 4 bytes of physical memory is getting
corrupted (set to 0) at a fixed offset.
This offset is always fixed 0x00A4DDC0 (PFN: 0xA4D). The problem manifests
in form of SIGILL for some random user-space application where its text
area is corrupted. At this moment we are not able to identify who is
causing the corruption. While we continue to investigate that (no HW
breakpoint support :(), I thought we could at least mask the problem since
we know the corruption is always occurring at a fixed offset.
Therefore we want to reserve the memory so that kernel does not give it to
anyone.
We tried passing it via kernel command-line parameter (using memblock) but
did not see it working. Finally we modified the function
early_reserve_mem_dt() in file "linux-3.12.19/arch/powerpc/kernel/prom.c"
to directly reserve the memory.

base1 = 0xA4D000; size1=0x1000;
memblock_reserve(base1, size1);

To check if reservation is working and to monitor the corruption we wrote a
kernel module that does a ioremap to page 0xA4D. We then poison it with
fixed data. What we found was that, in few runs, this memory was intact and
in few others it would change. We tried both memblock_reserve() as well as
memblock_remove(). Unfortunately we continue to get the SIGILL at the same
offset.
Is there any other way to block a physical memory page?

ioremap code (relevant lines):
static char* sigill_mon_addr;
#define ADDR_TEST 0xA4D00
sigill_mon_addr = (char*)ioremap(ADDR_TEST, 4096);

-Thanks
Nikhil