Network unreachable error when sending mail from mutt

Gargi Sharma gs051095 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 12:29:39 EDT 2016

Hi all,

I'm getting a "SMTP server problem Network is unreachable"  "Error sending
message, child exited 69 (Service unavailable.). " when trying to send a
 mail using mutt.

When I used  telnet smtp.gmail.com 587 or change the port to 465 I
get Unable to connect to remote host: Network is unreachable.

On trying
openssl s_client -starttls smtp -crlf -connect smtp.gmail.com:587 I get -->
connect: Connection timed out
connect:errno=110

How do I solve this? Is there a problem with the firewall?