question re. kernel licenses

Miles Fidelman mfidelman at meetinghouse.net
Thu Sep 1 13:42:46 EDT 2016

On 9/1/16 12:27 PM, Greg KH wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 01, 2016 at 12:10:52PM -0400, Miles Fidelman wrote:
>> Perhaps a silly question, but who actually holds the copyright on the
>> kernel?
> Nice, a legal question on a technical list?  Are you going to ask
> medical questions here next?  :)
>
> Seriously, if you have questions like this, and it matters to your
> business, I strongly suggest you consult a lawyer who knows this type of
> thing (i.e. copyright law).  It differs in every country (and even is
> different within some states in those countries), so you might get
> different answers depending on where you care about the result of your
> question.

The scope of the list is defined "This list is a list for budding kernel
hackers, so the idea is to ask queries which are mostly related to Linux
Kernel, directly and sometimes indirectly."

And the mailing list guidelines include, under "What should be
asked?:"   "Issues related to the GPL in the kernel." - which are, by
definition, legal questions.

In practice, there is.  .... Yogi Berra