Booting of Linux kernel

Amit Kumar free.amit.kumar at gmail.com
Sat Oct 1 23:37:19 EDT 2016

On Tue, Sep 6, 2016, 8:10 PM Er Krishna <erkrishna at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I have a basic question for understanding :
>
> If we want to boot the Linux kernel without bootloader what needs to be
> done?
>
> In other words what all the core subsystem like memory and all
> needs initialisation by bootloader and if bootloader is not there then how
> to do it ?

I'm also a newbie but whatever I know I tell you.
When you start/reset your board, there are some code in the ROM, which
looks for your
code at a particular address in an internal RAM. The size of this RAM is
limited, so this
code should initialize the regular RAM then load rest of your code and
initialize other parts
of the board. I've read that previously kernel used to include a bootloader
but I think after
availability of more general bootloaders, it has been removed.

On which board do you want to test this? You may read docs and read
bootloaders code to
learn where ROM looks for your code and how to initialize RAM and load your
code.

Last but not least you need arm-none-eabi compiler and some linker scripts
to place you code
at a particular address.

Thanks
> Krishna