Options for adding I2C devices and how-to

vibnwis vibnwis at gmail.com
Sat Oct 1 00:23:47 EDT 2016

Many thanks Anish for answering my doubts.

> You need to find out the device address of your device.
> find out which device is not connected and connect your device on that bus
> and change the device tree to replace the device address.

Would you elaborate on device tree, please?

> You can certainly use i2c_detect and i2c_get user space tools to work with
> your device. However is there is a existing kernel space i2c device on that
> bus then it will certain lead to bus hogging problems.
>
> Besides i2c_detect and i2c_get user space tools. I think one can also
change two existing GPIOs for SDA and SCLK respectively and using software
logics to drive them as I2C bus. I presume the entire GPIOs are able to be
mapped for user space, is it not?

> Feel free to add any comments or suggestions.
> Please add information about your device and kernel version which you are
> trying to use. May be there is already a driver for it in open source.
>
> I am doing some sort research at the moment. I like to know the whole
picture before putting my hand on.  Hence, at the moment it is pure on
papers. However, the kernel version should be 2.6.38 and above.
Nevertheless, since I have Pandaboard rev B , and Raspberry 3, I will
definitely things that available for these two. Does it make sense?

Thanks in advance.