can anyone tell me which function to call to pause the kernel

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Tue May 17 11:21:46 EDT 2016

On Tue, 17 May 2016 20:29:12 +0800, walkerlala said:

> Can I just disable interrupts from hardwares? I know that, at the very
> beginning, the kernel disable interrupt for convenient. So I wonder
> whether we can do thing like this.

Sure you can do that.

But then, how do you get the kernel's attention?

> Put it in another way:
> 	when we "interact" with a Linux Desktop, there are also many programs
> running underneath as daemons, but we can still do our own works without
> even noting their existing. So I wonder, is there a similar way that we
> can use to interact with the kernel (without using a debugger) ?

Try this:

Start up Xorg and your preferred window manager.

Open an xterm or a Gnome-terminal or whatever.

>From that window, try to attach gdb to the Xorg process:

%  ps ax|grep Xorg
  1791 tty2     S+    69:42 /usr/libexec/Xorg vt2 -displayfd 3 -auth /run/user/967/gdm/Xauthority -nolisten tcp -background none -noreset -keeptty -verbose 3
 62036 pts/0    S+     0:00 grep Xorg
% gdb -p 1791

What happens?

Why does it happen?

Eventually, you'll figure out what Xorg and the kernel have in common here....