Can I just remove code of other architectures and get a clean X86 source

walkerlala ablacktshirt at gmail.com
Thu May 12 08:50:41 EDT 2016

     Hi everyone.
     I am just reading the kernel code, adding some code to make it
pause and print some text and then interact with it a little bit. I have
compile the kernel successfully and run the kernel in QEMU. It did
work.Nice.
     But, when I reading the source, I found that there are just too
many files there, which make it hard for me to manage. With so many
files, It's hard to change directories, read and modified and still
remember what you are doing (so many files with the same/similar name).
     I know that's because Linux support many architectures, and that 's
the reason why there are so many folders under the 'arch' directory of
the source code.
     So, I wonder, as I only want the source for x86 device, can I
simply remove that source files which are unrelated to x86 and still
make the kernel work as normal? I mean, can I just remove all the
directory under 'arch' except 'x86-64' ? Also, are there any other files
that I can safely removed and won't hurt the kernel ?
     Thanks in advance.
     (btw, I don't know whether this question is asked before. I google
it but find nothing related. If it's duplicated, please give me some
pointer to the mailing list where this topic located )