How to fast master kernel

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Tue May 10 11:00:51 EDT 2016

On Tue, 10 May 2016 10:58:43 +0800, "Aric" said:

> I'm a newcomer, hope to learn linux kernel together. How can I contribute to
> kernel programming? Any good tutorials and tranings ? Why so silence this
> mail-alias.

Step 0: Figure out *why* you want to contribute.  The answer you seek
depends a lot on why you're asking the question....

Just because it sounds cool?

You bought something on Ebay and discovered it doesn't have a driver?

Your employer just told you that your company's new widget needs a driver?

You have a particular interest in filesystems, or crypto, or hypervisors, or
whatever?

You just want to give back to the community?

(If the latter, I suggest just building a new linux-next kernel every
week or so, and report any issues.  We need more testers more than we need
more code, and the learning curve for testing is a *lot* lower...)

In fact, here's the learning curve:

$ git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git

$ git remote add linux-next git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/next/linux-next.git
$ git fetch linux-next
$ git fetch --tags linux-next

(build and boot a test kernel)

... # later on a week or so later...

$ git remote update     (note that 'git pull' does *not* work for linux-next)
(mount and boot a test kernel)

Yeah, it really *is* that simple.. :)