rules for interface naming for on-board cards

Mandeep Sandhu mandeepsandhu.chd at gmail.com
Mon May 2 12:52:04 EDT 2016

> If the name contains a %d format string, the first available device
> name with the given base is used; assigned numbers start at zero.
>
> On my base machine, I have 1 NIC card which is onboard, rest I can
> remove and plug.
> For the onboard card I get the interfaces as em1-4, while all the
> other cards I get names as p1p2, p3p4 etc.

This looks like systemd's way of naming network interfaces (aka
predictable network interface names). Are you running a systemd
enabled system?

If so, look at this systemd guide for the naming convention:

https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/PredictableNetworkInterfaceNames/

HTH,
-mandeep