where is disk block access in kernel ?

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Thu Mar 3 02:09:39 EST 2016

On Wed, 02 Mar 2016 11:57:41 +0200, Ran Shalit said:

> I would like to monitor the write access to disk blocks (so that I can
> monitor the block index in some bitmap)

What exactly are you trying to do with that information? (Hint - figure out
how big a bitmap you need for the blocks on a 2T or 4T drive - or for the
600T to petabyte filesystems I deal with for a living).

Do you need just write access, or read as well?
Do you need the info before or after the disk cache is involved?
Do you need to deal with corner cases like a program writing to a file, and
then unlinking the file before the blocks are written to disk?

As is common for kernel issues, the answer depends a lot on exactly what
the *real* question is....