Setting inode during lookup

Bruce D. Wilner bdwilner at erols.com
Fri Jul 8 14:08:28 EDT 2016

 <petkov <at> uni-muenster.de> writes:

> On Tuesday 31 August 2004 20:00, Shehjar Tikoo wrote:
> > Hi all.
> Hi there,
> >
> > I have a query regarding lookups in VFS.Im using
> > version 2.6.7.
> >
> > open_namei calls path_lookup, in case of a plain open,
> > which in turn calls __emul_lookup_dentry,
> > if the path is an absolute path.
> > In __emul_lookup_dentry theres a call to path_walk
> > which calls link_path_walk,

Funny how they call this forum .*newbies.  You wanna talk newbies, look at
the Linux kernel code.  Something as simple as namei() had to be split nito
umpteen pieces, each of which is less organized than the next.  The comments
appear to have been written by children and are peppered with "in
joke"-style wisecracks that only point to their authors' immaturity and lack
of technical seniority.  NEVER have I seen more disorganized code.

Funny, the CAPTCHA word to enter was "exhumed."  This sad sack replacement
for namei() looks like it was exhumed from God-knows-where.