Is there a bug in dgnc.ko?

Navy Cheng navych at 126.com
Wed Feb 24 06:57:01 EST 2016

On Tue, Feb 23, 2016 at 09:43:56PM -0800, Greg KH wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 12:57:42PM +0800, Navy Cheng wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > My kernel version is v4.4, and I have built drivers/staging/dgnc/dgnc.ko.
> > I change to *dir*/drivers/staging/dgnc and do like this:
> >
> >     sudo insmod ./dgnc.ko
>
> Do you have the hardware that this driver controls?

I'm not sure. My laptop is Dell Inspiron 14R - 5437 and I don't know if
there is the right hardware. I often don't know about what a driver is used
for in drivers/staging/. Is there any good way to know the function of a
driver or module?

> >     sudo lsmod | grep dgnc
>
> Does that show anything?

Output: dgnc                   65536  0

> >     sudo rmmod ./dgnc
> >     sudo insmod ./dgnc.ko
> >
> > After I re-insmod the dgnc module, my laptop is breakdown.
>
> Then there's a bug to fix in the driver, it must not clean up everything
> properly.  Based on a quick read of it, there is lots of things that
> need to be fixed in it, that's why it is in staging.  If you are
> interested, I would suggest fixing this issue would be a great start.

I'm very glad to get your advice to fix this issue. As a kernelnewbies, I
have sent two patches about code cleaning to you, and they are merged to
the kernel tree. I realy interested to fix this bug to improve my
understanding of the kerenl.

Thank you.