Distributed Process Scheduling Algorithm

Mulyadi Santosa mulyadi.santosa at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 04:31:53 EST 2016

On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 11:35 AM, Nitin Varyani <varyani.nitin1 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> @ Greg: Since I am very new to the field, with the huge task in hand
> and a short time span of 3 months given for this project, I am looking
> for specific directions from the linux experts to work on. As far as
> efforts are concerned, I am taking out hours together to research into
> this area. I do not mind telling this to my professor.  Still, I am
> always looking for improvement. I will try to put more endeavor and
> seek as less help as possible. I hope you will not mind my reply.
> Thanks.
>
> On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 9:02 PM, Greg KH <greg at kroah.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 04:05:17PM +0530, Nitin Varyani wrote:
> >> Rather than trying to go blind folded in getting practical experience
> >> of linux programming, I want to gain experience only in relation to my
> >> task of creating a distributed process scheduler. What all things
> >> should I try to work with to understand the kernel CFS scheduler well?
> >> Please provide sufficient literature for the practical work.
> >> Also what is the best place to learn about implementing linux
> containers?
> >
> > Why are you asking other people to do your research work for you?
> > That's pretty rude, does your professor know this is what you are doing?
> >
> > greg k-h

Dear Nitin

Again, please don't top post :) That's considered rude too, at least here :)

I can't speak on behalf of Greg, but I guess the basic idea of why people
gather in this mailing list is to share ideas and discuss, but not giving
very specific guidance. If that's the goal, this list would be named
"kernel mentoring", don't you agree? :)

So, if we follow this "discussion area" rule, I can give you ideas:
- maybe your scope of work is too wide. Try to be more specific. 3 months
time span is very short compared to what you're going to do (IIUC). As
other already pointed, maybe you can piggy back on Erlang project and
enhance their work instead?

- do you have solid background of kernel programming, especially related to
scheduler? if not, try to get a grasp quickly using code navigator e.g
cscope or lxr.linux.no and play around with the code first. It might give
direct experience on how code works and at the same time how kernel build
mechanism work

Hope it helps....

--
regards,