kernel thread priority over user thread

Mulyadi Santosa mulyadi.santosa at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 07:30:35 EST 2016

On Tue, Dec 20, 2016 at 2:02 PM, Ran Shalit <ranshalit at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am trying to understand if kernel thread are always higher priority
> then user thread.
>
> Say, a kernel thread (created with kthread_create with SCHED_FIFO and
> given priority x), and user thread (created with pthread_create was
> created with SCHED_FIFO and given priority y), and priority of pthread
> is higher than kthread, would still the kernel thread get into
> scheduler before the user thread ?
> How is the scheduler decides which get first into the running state ?
>
> Regards,
> Ran

Dear Ran

Tough question, but let me clarify, when you mean higher, do you mean y > x?

All in all, kernel thread and user thread is treated the same in the
kernel's point of view. So in your case, unless one of them voluntarily
give up his time slice, or preempted by certain case, thread with higher
priority will be picked by scheduler first

CMIIW

--
regards,

Mulyadi Santosa