Kernel boot panic

Amit Mahadik amitmahadik35 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 12 03:53:11 EST 2016

Hi Kristof,               Yes I have compiled the EXT3 support into the kernel itself. But no luck yet!
Regards,Amit.

    On Thursday, 8 December 2016 10:51 PM, Kristof Provost <kristof at sigsegv.be> wrote:

 On 8 Dec 2016, at 15:59, Amit Mahadik wrote:
>      Hi,
>       I am trying to boot Linux kernel version 4.4.16 on custom ARM
> based development platform.I want to separate rootfs and kernel Image
> so that the size of my uImage is small. I followed the following
> steps.
> 1. Partitioned the SD card. It has 2 partition. First partition is
> formatted as vfat partition and    has uImage (without rootfs).
> Second partition is formatted as ext3 and has the rootfs.2. I then
> changed the U-Boot (version 2011.05) bootargs   Kernel command line:
> console=ttyS0,115200 noinitrd rw rootfstype=ext3 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2
>          rootwait mem=512M coherent_pool=4M no_console_suspend
> resume=/dev/mtdblock3.
>
> However, while booting I get the following error
> Failed to create /dev/root: -2VFS: Cannot open root device "mmcblk0p2"
> or unknown-block(179,2): error -2
> I have also attached log for reference. Can anyone please point out
> what I may be missing?

Well, your kernel finds the partition, but it’s still unable to open
the root device.
Did you remember to compile ext3 support into your kernel (so not as a
module)?

Regards,
Kristof