How to use spi device from another kernel module?

Ran Shalit ranshalit at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 10:27:11 EST 2016

On Wed, Dec 7, 2016 at 9:02 AM, Greg KH <greg at kroah.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 06, 2016 at 09:12:24PM -0800, Joel Fernandes wrote:
>> On Tue, Dec 6, 2016 at 11:42 AM, Ran Shalit <ranshalit at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > I have spi device which is registered using spi_register_board_info(),
>> > and I would like to get a pointer to this device in some other kernel module.
>> >
>> > Is there a simple way to get a pointer to pointer to a device , so
>> > that we can use it from other module ? (something like i2c_get_adapter
>> > for i2c)
>>
>> Find out what's the SPI bus number (for the master) and the chip
>> select on that SPI master (for the SPI device)
>>
>> Then you can use bus_for_each_device on spi_bus_type and find the
>> spi_device you're looking for. See the following code for an example
>> of how to use bus_for_each_device:
>>
>> http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/drivers/spi/spi.c#L524

Thanks Joel,
Though in this example I can't see how to used bus number & cs.
Probably I ask for something which is not too proper, as Greg mentioned.
Yet, I need to do that, as simple as possible...

>> In your check function, just make sure your spi->master->bus_num is
>> the bus you want and the spi->chip_select is the chip select
>> corresponding to the device you want. If both these conditions are
>> satisfied, there you have your spi_device.
>
> Eeek, no, please never do that, use the proper spi apis to get your
> needed device.  They are there somewhere, using a "raw"
> bus_for_each_device is never the answer unless you are a bus and
> iterating over your own device list.
>
> thanks,
>
> greg k-h

Hi,

I'm trying to understand how to get the spi device from proc entry.
Is there any example which demonstrate such usage ?

Thanks,
Ran