[help] How to test kernel code that I wrote?

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Thu Aug 25 09:32:38 EDT 2016

On Thu, 25 Aug 2016 16:04:58 +0800, Louie Lu said:

> Is that I'll need to use VM to test the code,
> or just test it on my laptop?
>
> I found that if sometimes I broke my code (e.g. can't remove modules,
> modules panic ...etc)
> I need to reboot my laptop to recover from this situation.
>
> Is that how a true kernel developer does?
> or they will open a VM to test it, then test on real hardware PC.

There's no such thing as a "true kernel developer".  Some run their
code in a VM because their code is something that can be tested in a VM,
some test on a real hardware PC, some write the build onto a flash
card and put it in a non-PC system (usually an ARM or MIPS based
embedded device).

All depends what your resources are, and what code you're testing.