probe failed with error -16

Raul Piper raulpblooper at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 02:37:24 EDT 2016

Hi,
I am developing a driver connected via gpios to the beaglebone and
starting with the skeleton driver first and will keep adding
functionality to it.

I have added relevant compatible device tree string in the device tree
as well as in the driver like this .I have built the kernel and then
inserted the module.
Below is the snapshot of my implementation.

My of_device_id looks like this >>

static const struct of_device_id of_bc_hw_match[] = {
            { .compatible = "bc,bc-hwxx5", },
        {},
};
MODULE_DEVICE_TABLE(of, of_bc_hw_match);

static struct platform_driver bc_driver = {
        .probe          = bc_probe,
        .remove         = bc_remove,
        .driver         = {
                .name   = "bc-hw",
                .of_match_table = of_match_ptr(of_bc_hw_match),
        },

My Probe Looks like  this :>>>>

static int bc_probe(struct platform_device *pdev)
{

        struct gpio_bc_platform_data *pdata = dev_get_platdata(&pdev->dev);
                struct bc_data *pbc_data;
                int i, ret = 0;

 if (!pdata)
{
  printk("inside bc_probe \n");
  return -EBUSY;
}

    return ret;

}

On inserting the module I get this  on dmesg :

inside bc_probe
probe failed with error -16

Thanks and Rgds,
Rp