USB gadget mode in laptop

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Fri Aug 5 06:31:32 EDT 2016

On Thu, Aug 04, 2016 at 10:32:16PM +0530, Susanoo Tux wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I was looking into USB gadget mode to work on my laptop. One simple basic doubt
> I have is how do I know whether my USB controller supports gadget mode ? If it
> supports which module do I need to modprobe ?

Why would a laptop support gadget mode?  A USB "gadget" is USB hardware
that acts like a device (keyboard, mouse, storage, etc.).  Laptops
almost never have that type of hardware in them as they are USB "hosts"
and control USB devices.

You can buy PCI devices that act as USB gadgets, and that's used for
development of systems, and many smaller devices (phone, tablets, etc.)
have hardware that can act in both host and gadget mode.  But again, you
need special hardware for this, something that I have never seen built
into a laptop.

So, sorry, I don't think you will be able to do this.

greg k-h