single, comprehensive kernel data types document?

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Thu Apr 21 23:13:37 EDT 2016

On Thu, Apr 21, 2016 at 11:02:32PM -0400, Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Apr 2016 11:37:13 +0900, Greg KH said:
>
> > As Josh says, this is fine, you just "burn" 4 bytes,
>
> Are there stil any platforms left where that matters?  Sure, when I started
> coding, an HP2114 had all of 8K of RAM, so wasting 4 bytes mattered.  But I
> don't know of anything that will boot Linux and is still so storaged
> constrained that we care.  Heck, even my fairly old wireless router has 128M
> of RAM on it - and even THERE the 8M of flash is a bigger constraint :)

People cram Linux into machines with only 2M of ram, there are tons of
chips out there that are new and shipping in devices with less than 1M
of ram that would be great to have Linux running in them, but can't at
the moment.

So yes, in some systems it does matter, in others, it doesn't but that's
the beauty of Linux, it runs almost everywhere :)

thanks,

greg k-h