UIO driver test

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Fri Apr 15 21:37:13 EDT 2016

On Sat, Apr 16, 2016 at 07:03:37AM +0530, Gadre Nayan wrote:
> I am trying to replicate the igb_uio for realtek card on my system. I saw the
> igb_uio source and it uses no ID table.
>
> Struct pci_driver igb_pci_driver = {
>     .id_table = NULL;
> };
>
> So I wanted to understand the mechanism by which the igb_uio binds to a igb
> network card driver.

That does so in a very odd, and strange way and none that I would ever
recommend anyone else doing.  It's through userspace only, using the
bind/unbind sysfs files because their tool knows exactly when it is safe
to do it.

But this is not a UIO issue, it's just a PCI driver issue, very far away
from a platform device.

Also, don't try to bind UIO to a device that you don't know exactly how
it works, you will end up with "raw" memory access to the card, which
can cause bad things to happen if you aren't careful.

good luck!

greg k-h