blackscreen on boot with first compiled kernel

Hrushit Parikh parikhhrushit at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 1 02:54:34 EDT 2016

Hey Anil,
Thanks a lot for your reply. Your approach worked for me!!
Maybe I missed reading in the FirstKernelPatch tutorial that compile steps are OS dependent.

I am running Ubuntu 14.04 and here is what I ended up doing (Based on Anil's steps) for anyone having a similar problem in future:

1. Copy old configuration (Use old configuration to built the kernel):
cp /boot/config-`'uname -r ` ./.config

2. Clean Working Directory
"make-kpkg clean".

3. Compile the Kernel

"export CONCURRENCY_LEVEL=3" ( For parallel builds, faster compilation).

"make-kpkg --initrd --revision=0.1CustomKernel kernel-image kernel-headers --rootcmd fakeroot"

( "0.1CustomKernel" can be any name of your choice to give the kernel you build a unique name. There are some restrictions on the names mentioned on
make-kpkg man page
 --rootcmd fakeroot complained of permission denied while building kernel so I used --rootcmd sudo)

4. Install the kernel
"sudo dpkg -i ../linux-header.deb"
"sudo dpkg -i ../linux-image.deb"

5. Reboot machine into new kernel.

Compile the kernel in home directory don't use sudo except for
installing the kernel.

Thanks again Anil! I can finally start familiarizing with subsystems and drivers and work towards my first kernel patch!

-Hrushit