Unset LOCKDEP and TRACE_IRQFLAGS_SUPPORT

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Sun Sep 27 18:22:12 EDT 2015

On Mon, 28 Sep 2015 09:58:21 +1300, vibnwis said:

> Thanks for sharing. Being a newbie, I would have to have some sort faith
> until it is proven otherwise. Hence, I am tasked to get the TRACE_IRQFLAGS
> turn off. Once, I have got it done and the results would tell us if the
> patches were fine or not.

The fact they may work with a specific option turned off is *not* proof
that they are "fine" - merely that it doesn't trip over the problem.  It's
kind of like being told your car's brakes are possibly defective and you
should avoid heavy braking - and your response is to choose a path home that
doesn't involve any heavy braking and then saying your brakes are "fine".

It's even more worrisome that people are suggesting "just turn it off"
without being able to point at a reason *why* it needs to be turned off.

Which gives you more confidence:

NVidia's modules won't work on a kernel defined with LOCKDEP enables, we
don't know why, so just turn it off..

versus

NVidia's modules won't work on a LOCKDEP kernel because with that defined,
the locking functions called by the module are redirected to debugging LOCKDEP
variants that are EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL.  When you try to modprobe it, the _GPL
variants aren't available to the NVidia module due to its licensing, so you
get 'unresolved symbol' errors.  This information should be enough for you to
figure out how to fix your personal copy and make it work (but not to make
that copy redistributable).

See the difference?