Wireless Driver issue (Atheros AR9485)

David Scaperoth david.scaperoth at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 08:54:28 EDT 2015

I'm attempting to run pm-suspend on my laptop (by shutting my lid and on
command line), and its putting my AR9485 wifi card into a funk (i.e. wlan0
interface seen through ifconfig never returns upon resume).

I know theres a lot to this (power management - pm-utils and kernel,
wireless drivers, general linux drivers, and possibly other things), just
need a little direction on which rabbit hole to start down...haha.

Ive looked through the ath9k and wireless list archives and had no luck
finding the same issue.  I have tried different solutions (mostly related
to pm-utils) from ubuntu's forums too.

an example of where it failed /var/log/pm-powersave.log
<snip>
   Running hook /usr/lib/pm-utils/power.d/wireless true:
Turning powersave for wlan0 on...Error for wireless request "Set Power
Management" (8B2C) :
    SET failed on device wlan0 ; Operation not supported.
Failed.
/usr/lib/pm-utils/power.d/wireless true: success.
<snip>

AND...according to
https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/documentation/dynamic-power-save
I tried:
iw dev wlan0 set power_save on
command failed: Operation not supported (-95)

This is my first post to this list, so I'm not sure what information would
be useful to help find a solution (or workaround).  Here goes nothing
(perhaps I should attach text files next time for large diagnostic
information?):

I built an upstream kernel against gregkh staging tree with a Ubuntu distro
just to see if this would fix my issue and it did not.  Either way, here is
some information:

>> uname -a
Linux xxx 4.2.0+ #1 SMP Sun Sep 6 05:53:34 EDT 2015 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64
GNU/Linux

>> lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID:    Ubuntu
Release:    14.04
Codename:    trusty

cat /proc/version
Linux version 4.2.0+ (gcc version 4.8.4 (Ubuntu 4.8.4-2ubuntu1~14.04) ) #1
SMP Sun Sep 6 05:53:34 EDT 2015

>>lspci -vvnn
<snip>
01:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 Wireless Network
Adapter [168c:0032] (rev 01)
    Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company AR9485/HB125 802.11bgn 1×1 Wi-Fi
Adapter [103c:1838]
<snip>

I could provide more information from lspci and lshw but I'm not sure what
would help (if at all).  The strangest thing about the whole matter is that
if I reboot, the card comes back online just fine.

Thanks again for any help you can provide!

David