UIO Devices and user processes

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Wed Oct 7 13:02:15 EDT 2015

On Tue, Oct 06, 2015 at 10:46:49AM -0400, Kenneth Adam Miller wrote:
> Let me be more precise in general to the overall original question:
>
> I want a userland process that I designate to only use a specific hard coded
> region physical of memory for it's heap. A UIO driver is the means by which
> I've gone about seeking to achieve this.

Use LD_PRELOAD to hook into your custom library that handles the
allocation to this special portion of memory that you grabbed from the
hardware using the UIO kernel interface instead of the "normal" libc
allocator, and you will be fine.  But you will have to write a custom
allocator, there's no other way around that.

The kernel gives you the ability to do this today, no kernel changes
needed, it's all "just" userspace code you will have to do on your own.

Best of luck, that's going to be some "fun" work :)

greg k-h