UIO Devices and user processes

Kenneth Adam Miller kennethadammiller at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 10:03:12 EDT 2015

On Tue, Oct 6, 2015 at 9:57 AM, Greg KH <greg at kroah.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 06, 2015 at 09:26:23AM -0400, Kenneth Adam Miller wrote:
> > No, I didn't try it. I just wanted to ask before I got started. Thanks
> that
> > answers everything.
> >
> > Any body know about the issue of assigning a process a region of physical
> > memory to use for it's malloc and free? I'd like to just have the
> process call
> > through to a UIO driver with an ioctl, and then once that's done it gets
> all
> > it's memory from a specific region.
>
> UIO drivers do not support ioctl, why would you need/want that?  What's
> wrong with just using the correct mmap/munmap logic that UIO userspace
> drivers use today?

Oops, well what I wrote is the result of me doing this for the first time.
Let me respond to the previous email, and in the process of doing that,
you'll see what my understanding is. I don't actually need ioctl
specifically, I just need to be able to have the mmap userland call to
resolve specifically to what this specific driver supports.