git tags (RC kernels ) and kernel versions (www.kernel.org)

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Thu Nov 26 04:11:49 EST 2015

Kevin Wilson <wkevils at gmail.com> writes:

> I want to be able to work with git commands with the Linux kernel
> versions according to what I see
> in www.kernel.org, and I encounter a difficulty. The following example
> demonstrates the
> difficulty I encounter.
>
> I see under:
> https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v4.x/
> 13 sub version of the 4.1 kernel:
> 4.1.1
> 4.1.2

> 4.1.13
>

> For each one there is a  correspoinding ChangeLog ( ChangeLog-4.1.3,
> ChangeLog-4.1.4,
> and so on)
> I know of course that I can find the commits for each such subversion
> by looking in
> the corresponding ChangeLog. However, I want to be able to work with
> the different subversions
> of 4.1 (for example) with git. This means to navigate with git
> commands from, let's say, 4.1.13 to  4.1.5, and also go
> back and forth with git commends to 4.0 and earlier versions. And also
> of course see the commits by
> "git show", see the history by "git log", and in general run all git commands.
>
> However, when I run in Linus tree
> (https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git)
> the following:
>
> git tag | grep 4.1
> I get:
> v4.1
> v4.1-rc1
> v4.1-rc2
> v4.1-rc3
> v4.1-rc4
> v4.1-rc5
> v4.1-rc6
> v4.1-rc7
> v4.1-rc8
>
> So these 8 rc subversions of 4.1 do not seem to correspond the the
> 1..13 subversions that I see
> in https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git
> as mentioned below.

The '-rc' tags are release candidates, i.e. development snapshops of the
'v4.1 to be'.  They are not releases and not directly related to 4.1.y
revisions at all.  Those are in a separate branch based on the final 4.1
release.

You can find the 4.1.y stable branch, and other stable branches here:
https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-stable.git/

Bjørn