Strange warnings out of checkpatch

John Whitmore arigead at gmail.com
Sun Nov 1 15:19:24 EST 2015

I'm using the MCP2515 driver chip on some work I'm doing. Out of curiosity I
ran checkpatch.pl on the C file and don't understand the output.

A search sort of seems to suggest that it is a problem with the checkpatch
utility itself.

http://www.serverphorums.com/read.php?12,1264313

I'd like to understand what is either wrong with code or chcekpatch

$ scripts/checkpatch.pl drivers/net/can/spi/mcp251x.c
WARNING: Possible unwrapped commit description (prefer a maximum 75 chars per line)
#727:
static void mcp251x_error_skb(struct net_device *net, int can_id, int data1)

ERROR: Does not appear to be a unified-diff format patch

total: 1 errors, 1 warnings, 0 lines checked

drivers/net/can/spi/mcp251x.c has style problems, please review.

NOTE: If any of the errors are false positives, please report
      them to the maintainer, see CHECKPATCH in MAINTAINERS.