physical memory userspace/kernel split on Linux x86-64

Karaoui mohamed lamine moharaka at gmail.com
Wed May 27 09:54:49 EDT 2015

> Hi,
> Is there an explict split between userspace and kernel in physical
> memory on Linux x86-64? That is, given a physical address, can I tell
> whether this address is from userspace or not?

No. The same physical address can be  used by both the kernel and the
userspace.
The kernel and userspace share the same physical memory.
Any memory page can be allocated for the userspace then released (free)
then re-allocated for kernel use.

As far as I know, in virtual address space, the kernel will use the