Query on use of CC3000 and linux driver

victorascroft at gmail.com victorascroft at gmail.com
Mon May 11 02:20:17 EDT 2015

Hello,

I am looking into use of CC3000 under Linux.
http://www.ti.com/product/cc3000

I had a few questions in mind and doubts which I wanted to clear.

CC3000 has an board TCP/IP stack. It has a SPI interface for
communication. One way of course is to use this SPI interface using the
spidev module while adhering to the laid out protocol for CC3000 and
writing one's own application.

However, is it possible to use the CC3000 perhaps like one would use a
USB to WiFi device and a regular ethernet/WiFi connection? Basically,
the WiFi connection being accessible like eth0 or wlp3s0 connection and
all the regular functionalities one would expect of such a connection.

Is there a driver available which provides such functionality? Another
example would be how SDIO based wireless devices get used (of course
though these SDIO devices do not have an embedded stack). Is something
similar possible for the SPI interface based CC3000?

The question arises from the fact that CC3000 has an board stack. Linux
having its own TCP/IP stack, raises a point of contention of how Linux
would control it. From what I understand, any device having an onboard
stack TCP/IP or otherwise, for let's say bluetooth is not a correct use
case with Linux and the functionality I am expecting (what I wrote
above) is not possible to achieve, atleast not practically perhaps.

Thanks & Regards,
Victor.