Suggested environments for kernel development

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Sun May 3 13:52:44 EDT 2015

On Sun, 3 May 2015, Greg KH wrote:

> On Sun, May 03, 2015 at 06:11:35PM +0100, Lewis Clark wrote:
> > I would really like to know how you guys do your kernel development.
> > What distro do you use and whats the process?
> >
> > I’m very comfortable with debian, but i’ve heard it’s not the easiest
> > distro to build kernels for as you need to build to a .deb and apply
> > it that way.
>
> Not at all, any community-based distro is usually good for kernel
> development, pick one you feel comfortable with and use it.

  if you're going to just manually install the new kernel, then it
makes precious little difference. on the other hand, if you really
want to go through the packaging, then you can run one of:

  $ make rpm-pkg
  $ make deb-pkg

other than that, as greg suggests, any even *remotely* current distro
should work just fine.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca