Can add new module without upgrade the kernel?

Woody Wu narkewoody at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 05:35:23 EDT 2015

On Monday, 30 March 2015, Adam Lee <adam8157 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 02:05:33PM +0800, Woody Wu wrote:
> > Sorry, I did not write a subject.
> >
> > On Monday, 30 March 2015, Woody Wu <narkewoody at gmail.com <javascript:;>>
> wrote:
> >
> >     Hi,
> >
> >     I have a kernel already run on production, but I then realized that
> I need
> >     to add one or two driver to it.  But I hope I can avoid to upgrade
> the
> >     kernel image for those already running products, I hope I can only
> extend
> >     the kernel by add the driver modules to the root file system. Is that
> >     possible? The current kernel has already compiled with the loadable
> modules
> >     options, but for the drivers that I want now the old config is 'no'.
> >
> >     Thanks in advance.
> >     -woody
> >
> >     --
> >     Sent from Gmail Mobile
> >
> > --
> > Sent from Gmail Mobile
>
> Sure you can, just compile them as "M" then install into your rootfs, or
> compile them as external modules.
>
> ref:
> https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/kbuild/modules.txt
>
> --
> Adam Lee
> http://adam8157.info

Thanks and glad to know that.  Just be curious, it means, in kernel
building, select a driver as M or as EMPTY will put no influence on the
resulted kernel image at all, is it right?  Previously, I always thought,
when I choice a driver as module, I was not only creating a module itself,
but also force the kernel create some kind of a stub in it's image. Now it
seems my thoughts is wrong.

--
Sent from Gmail Mobile