Question about switch_mm function

Rajat Sharma fs.rajat at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 12:00:34 EDT 2015

http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/arch/x86/include/asm/mmu_context.h#L37)
>> .
>> What I infer is that the code is doing flush tlb, reload page table
>> directories etc in multiprocessor mode(obviously)  but I believe this
>> code may never be executed .
>>
>> Can anyone help to understand what this part of the function supposed to
do?

>>  60 #ifdef CONFIG_SMP
>>  61           else {
>>  62                 this_cpu_write(cpu_tlbstate.state, TLBSTATE_OK);
>>  63                 BUG_ON(this_cpu_read(cpu_tlbstate.active_mm) !=
next);
>>  64
>>  65                 if (!cpumask_test_cpu(cpu, mm_cpumask(next))) {
>>  66                         /*
>>  67                          * On established mms, the mm_cpumask is
>> only changed
>>  68                          * from irq context, from
>> ptep_clear_flush() while in
>>  69                          * lazy tlb mode, and here. Irqs are blocked
during
>>  70                          * schedule, protecting us from
>> simultaneous changes.
>>  71                          */
>>  72                         cpumask_set_cpu(cpu, mm_cpumask(next));
>>  73                         /*
>>  74                          * We were in lazy tlb mode and leave_mm
disabled
>>  75                          * tlb flush IPI delivery. We must reload CR3
>>  76                          * to make sure to use no freed page tables.
>>  77                          */
>>  78                         load_cr3(next->pgd);
>>  79                         trace_tlb_flush(TLB_FLUSH_ON_TASK_SWITCH,
>> TLB_FLUSH_ALL);
>>  80                         load_LDT_nolock(&next->context);
>>  81                 }
>>  82         }
>>  83 #endif
>>

>> --
>> Regards,
>> Sreejith
>

> Hi ,
>
> can someone please give me any answers for this?
>
> --
> Regards,
> Sreejith

This code is handling context switch from a kernel thread back to user mode
thread so TLB entries are invalid translation for user mode thread and do
not correspond to user process pgd. It is Master kernel page table
translation as a result of kernel thread execution.

-Rajat