Kernel thread scheduling

nick xerofoify at gmail.com
Sun Mar 22 19:30:34 EDT 2015

On 2015-03-22 07:14 PM, Vincenzo Scotti wrote:
> Thank you for the example.
>
> I understand what are the scheduling mechanics depending on task->state.
> But suppose another situation.
> Let's say I change current state to TASK_INTERRUPTIBLE. If I start now some long
> operation, then shouldn't the scheduler kick in as soon as he can and put my thread
> asleep? Or should I call necessarily schedule()? And if so, why?

Greetings Vincenzo.
I would recommend reading Chapters 3 and  4 of Linux Kernel Development by Robert Love
as when I was learning the scheduler and process management for the kernel,I found these
chapters to be very useful.Further more for user space you are correct to my knowledge
schedule is called for internal tasks that are taking too long in kernel land or to
reschedule to another task,not for user space based tasks are TASK_INTERRUPTIBLE works
fine there.
Hope this Helps,
Nick