About guiding hello world module submission

Mayur Patil linuxcraz23 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 13:27:47 EDT 2015

Hi Robert,

   I am only done with writing basic device drivers and kernel compilation.

I also know that we can send patches/drivers to

majordomo at vger.kernel.org

But sending sample device drivers to that list will not be good etiquette.

That's why I am asking.

On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 2:08 PM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at crashcourse.ca>
wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Jun 2015, Mayur Patil wrote:
>
> > Hi All,
> >
> >    I am conducting one workshop at FUDCon in which I am trying to
> > teach how to write and send your first linux kernel device driver.
> > Could please suggest me the place where I can guide the students to
> > send the device driver?
>
>   once upon a time, i wrote an (admittedly-dated) online course on how
> to get started with kernel programming (and, yes, it needs updating
> :-P):
>

> http://crashcourse.ca/introduction-linux-kernel-programming/introduction-linux-kernel-programming
>
> ignore the $39 reference, the course has been publicly available for
> free for a while.
>
>   on the second point -- how to *send* that driver to the kernel --
> don't you kind of need a rationale for why you're working on a driver
> that isn't in the kernel already? i suspect that if you're already
> competent enough to be writing a driver for something that isn't in
> the kernel, you probably already know the protocol for submitting it,
> no?
>
> rday
>
> --

> Robert P. J. Day                                 Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA
>                         http://crashcourse.ca

> LinkedIn:                               http://ca.linkedin.com/in/rpjday

Regards,
Mayur S Patil,