Kernel contributions from organisations and individual privacy

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Sun Jun 14 22:08:37 EDT 2015

On Sun, 14 Jun 2015 19:36:23 -0400, nick said:
> a embedded version of Linux called NX OS I believe and its all open to my
> knowledge. Again this is stupidity in my option or companies being lazy by
> hiding there terribly written drivers.

Remember Nick - it's not a technical decision, it's a business decision.
If a company can improve the bottom line by $1M by doing something technically
ugly, something technically ugly *will* be done.

And it's usually no use standing up and fighting it if you work at the
company, because quite frankly, you're expendable.  Unless you're a superstar
who will cost more than $1M in recruiting costs and signing bonuses to
replace, the company will can your ass, recruit a replacement, do the ugly
thing, and *still* come up with more money.

And let's face it - if you're a superstar, why are you working at a company
whose product is so messed up that technically ugly work-arounds are called for? :)