Building which kernel?

Lucas Tanure tanure at linux.com
Sun Jun 14 11:24:23 EDT 2015

On Sun, Jun 14, 2015 at 10:11 AM, John Whitmore <arigead at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've a question regarding the building of the linux kernel, more
> specifically
> which kernel to build.
>
> I've previously built the kernel for an 86 arch but this time I want to
> build
> for the RaspberryPi. I can easily get the current version of the installed
> kernel with the "uname -a"  command but that doesn't tell me the git repo
> where the kernel originated. I'd imagine that it's from the RPi git repo,
> but
> that adds another level of confusion as that git repo doesn't have any
> tags at
> all. So even given the version number from uname how to check out a
> suitable
> version of the kernel.

Did you read the
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/linux/kernel/building.md  ?
There is a few tags : https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/releases

> I could take the latest from the RPi repo and use "make oldconfig" but I
> wonder how far, in kernel versions, I can jump and not affect the installed
> libs and utilities which have been built against another version of the
> kernel?

The problem is not the user space programs, it's really if the newer kernel
will boot in your hardware.
If you use the RPi kernel, you can use the lasted kernel without problems,
but if you use the mainline kernel (Linus) you will have a few problems.
Just because it doesn't have all the modifications made on RPi kernel.

> I've read various documentation on building the linux kernel but that's
> never
> really mentioned, mainly I guess as you're building for the x86 Arch. But
> even
> there can you jump major versions of kernel without effecting other
> installed
> SW in the system?

If you read this docs you are able to test different kernel versions
without problems. So go test it.
More info at : http://elinux.org/Raspberry_Pi_Kernel_Compilation

> John

Good luck