Kernel contributions from organisations and individual privacy

Jeff Haran Jeff.Haran at citrix.com
Fri Jun 12 19:29:51 EDT 2015

All sounds very noble, but it would not seem to create much of a deterrence for violators.

What is the downside to a large company for violating GPL? They are likely to not get sued in the first place. If they are they can delay using court procedures until they've changed their code to not violate or GPL'ed it. Worst for them is paying legal fees and a contribution. I am guessing those aren't huge, not for a big company. Seems like unless there is some monetary sting like a piece of the proceeds on the sale of violating products, there is no deterrence and you guys will be in court for the rest of time chasing a never ending stream of new violators.

As for every copyright holder not wanting to be a part of the suit, I thought that was what class action suits were for.

Good luck to you but it sounds futile to me.

Jeff Haran