set_current_state() use in loops confusion

Nicholas Mc Guire der.herr at hofr.at
Mon Jun 8 06:06:50 EDT 2015

On Sun, 07 Jun 2015, Nicholas Mc Guire wrote:

> Hi !
>
>  Noticed that in a number of cases - often while(!kthread_should_stop()){ loops
>  the call to set_current_state(...) is inside the loop - but e.g. in the below
>  case why would that be needed ? schedule() is not changing the state visibly
>  for the loop - so what is the point of setting the state inside the loop ?
>
> e.g. net/core/pktgen.c
>         /* Wait for kthread_stop */
>         while (!kthread_should_stop()) {
>                 set_current_state(TASK_INTERRUPTIBLE);
>                 schedule();
>         }
>
> from code review it seems to be that this would be equivalent
>
>         set_current_state(TASK_INTERRUPTIBLE);
>         while (!kthread_should_stop()) {
>                 schedule();
>         }
>
> what did I miss ?

rereading __schedule() - state after schedule() is always
TASK_RUNNING - so setting it back to !=TASK_RUNNING would be
needed in the loop - but in the above case I still don't get the point of
flipping the task state between TASK_INTERRUPTIBLE and TASK_RUNNING
the set_current_state(TASK_INTERRUPTIBLE); seems to have no real
effect as at the end of the loop state is TASK_RUNNING in any case
and ntermediately it is in TASK_RUNNING state as well ?

so I still seem to be missing something here...

thx!
hofrat