HOSTAPD Error log

Amit Gupta amitkgupta09 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 14:15:40 EDT 2015

Hi All,
Thanks for your quick response.

Valdis,
I tried with strace stuff, but I faced CPU halt issue. Actually along with
those error logs..sometime I m facing CPU HALT issue after executing
#hostapd -B /etc/hostapd.conf.

Pranay,
I tried your way to debug kernel for finding the root cause of error
log 'Failed
to update rate sets in kernel module'.
But prior to that I started to debugging for

IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0: link is not ready
IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): wlan0: link becomes ready

those two logs.

Till now I found that before execution of __dev_open(net/core/dev,c) function
for 'wlan0' network interface, 'netif_carrier_off'(net/sched/sch_generic.c)
function get called for 'wlan0',

void netif_carrier_off
<http://lxr.free-electrons.com/ident?v=4.0;i=netif_carrier_off>(struct
net_device <http://lxr.free-electrons.com/ident?v=4.0;i=net_device>
*dev <http://lxr.free-electrons.com/ident?v=4.0;i=dev>)
 {
         if (!test_and_set_bit
<http://lxr.free-electrons.com/ident?v=4.0;i=test_and_set_bit>(__LINK_STATE_NOCARRIER,
&dev <http://lxr.free-electrons.com/ident?v=4.0;i=dev>->state
<http://lxr.free-electrons.com/ident?v=4.0;i=state>)) {
                 if (dev
<http://lxr.free-electrons.com/ident?v=4.0;i=dev>->reg_state
<http://lxr.free-electrons.com/ident?v=4.0;i=reg_state> ==
NETREG_UNINITIALIZED)
                         return;
                 atomic_inc
<http://lxr.free-electrons.com/ident?v=4.0;i=atomic_inc>(&dev
<http://lxr.free-electrons.com/ident?v=4.0;i=dev>->carrier_changes);
                 linkwatch_fire_event
<http://lxr.free-electrons.com/ident?v=4.0;i=linkwatch_fire_event>(dev
<http://lxr.free-electrons.com/ident?v=4.0;i=dev>);
         }
}

 which result into condition checking passed in 'addrconf_qdisc_ok
<http://lxr.free-electrons.com/ident?v=4.0;i=addrconf_qdisc_ok>'*
function.*

In 'net/ipv6/addrconf.c' file

if (event <http://lxr.free-electrons.com/ident?v=4.0;i=event> ==
NETDEV_UP <http://lxr.free-electrons.com/ident?v=4.0;i=NETDEV_UP>) {
                         if (!addrconf_qdisc_ok
<http://lxr.free-electrons.com/ident?v=4.0;i=addrconf_qdisc_ok>(dev
<http://lxr.free-electrons.com/ident?v=4.0;i=dev>)) {
                                 */* device is not ready yet. */*
                                                 pr_info
<http://lxr.free-electrons.com/ident?v=4.0;i=pr_info>(*"ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP):
%s: link is not ready\n"*,
                                        dev
<http://lxr.free-electrons.com/ident?v=4.0;i=dev>->name
<http://lxr.free-electrons.com/ident?v=4.0;i=name>);
                                 break;
                         }

in same file:

static inline bool <http://lxr.free-electrons.com/ident?v=4.0;i=bool>
addrconf_qdisc_ok
<http://lxr.free-electrons.com/ident?v=4.0;i=addrconf_qdisc_ok>(const
struct net_device
<http://lxr.free-electrons.com/ident?v=4.0;i=net_device> *dev
<http://lxr.free-electrons.com/ident?v=4.0;i=dev>) {

return !qdisc_tx_is_noop
<http://lxr.free-electrons.com/ident?v=4.0;i=qdisc_tx_is_noop>(dev
<http://lxr.free-electrons.com/ident?v=4.0;i=dev>);

}

In include/net/sch_generic.h file

 static inline bool <http://lxr.free-electrons.com/ident?v=4.0;i=bool>
qdisc_tx_is_noop
<http://lxr.free-electrons.com/ident?v=4.0;i=qdisc_tx_is_noop>(const
struct net_device
<http://lxr.free-electrons.com/ident?v=4.0;i=net_device> *dev
<http://lxr.free-electrons.com/ident?v=4.0;i=dev>)

 {

         unsigned int i <http://lxr.free-electrons.com/ident?v=4.0;i=i>;

         for (i <http://lxr.free-electrons.com/ident?v=4.0;i=i> = 0; i
<http://lxr.free-electrons.com/ident?v=4.0;i=i> < dev
<http://lxr.free-electrons.com/ident?v=4.0;i=dev>->num_tx_queues; i
<http://lxr.free-electrons.com/ident?v=4.0;i=i>++) {
                 struct netdev_queue
<http://lxr.free-electrons.com/ident?v=4.0;i=netdev_queue> *txq =
netdev_get_tx_queue
<http://lxr.free-electrons.com/ident?v=4.0;i=netdev_get_tx_queue>(dev
<http://lxr.free-electrons.com/ident?v=4.0;i=dev>, i
<http://lxr.free-electrons.com/ident?v=4.0;i=i>);
                 if (rcu_access_pointer
<http://lxr.free-electrons.com/ident?v=4.0;i=rcu_access_pointer>(txq->qdisc)
!= &noop_qdisc <http://lxr.free-electrons.com/ident?v=4.0;i=noop_qdisc>)
                         return false
<http://lxr.free-electrons.com/ident?v=4.0;i=false>;
         }
         return true <http://lxr.free-electrons.com/ident?v=4.0;i=true>;
 }

I am still looking to find the cause execution of net_carrier_off function
before execution of __dev_open function for 'wlan0' network interface. This
behavior I am not observing with my other wired and pseudo network
interfaces.

'Failed to update rate sets in kernel module'
This error log may come because of previous issue as wlan0 device is not
active till this point.

One more thing  I tried, I cross compiled 'hostapd' version 2.4 for my
target board and executed that on target board.I did not get above
mentioned error log and till now no CPU halt issue.

Previously i was working with hostapd 0.7.3.

So is it like, hostapd old version is not compatible with new linux kernel
version as hostapd 0.7.3 version is running with no issue at linux 3.4.

Any advice and suggestions will be appreciable/helpful.

Thanks,
Amit Gupta