Please do not generate patches purely based on checkpatch.

Yogesh Chaudhari mr.yogesh at gmail.com
Sun Jul 26 03:35:37 EDT 2015

On 26 July 2015 at 03:42, Greg KH <greg at kroah.com> wrote:

> No, that would be two different things.  Do the bug fix first, and then
> the cleanup on a different patch.  And even then, most maintainers will
> not take a cleanup patch.  Stick with subsystems that do take these
> types of fixes if you want/like to do them (i.e. drivers/staging/*)

I have come to know that Greg is one of the most liberal maintainers
in this regard and accepts checkpatch related patches, but other than
that, it seems to depend on maintainer's choice (which is fine IMHO).
However, is there a place which documents which maintainers(and/or
sub-systems) accept checkpatch(or other cleanup related) patches and
who will reject them outright? Wouldn't it be good to have this
documented, especially given that using the checkpatch is advised in
Documentation/SubmitChecklist?

Thanks
Yogesh